SEARCH YOUR SOLUTION HERE  

bulleted links: controlling margins / splitting

I have been working on an animation with Actionscript 3.0 (see link below) that utilizes an xml file to dynamically populate a text field with links. I am then putting them into some sort of bulleted list. I am having a problem fine-tuning the formatting of links whether they be in a ul list or some approximated styling.

I first put bullet styling in as3. But I could not control the margin spacing between the bullets and the links so it was too big for my the small space for the rounded rectangles. I then tried to put it in an ul html list, same thing, couldn't control that margin space. I don't think Flash/Actionscript allows for this type of formatting. Is this true

Then I tried to add a break and a space in the xml. For some reason, flash breaks it into 2 links, even though I put the break and the space within the link. I even tried to put in a placeholder symbol in the xml and then replace it after importing the xml into flash. When Flash parsed the html text. it again broke it into 2 links. I also tried to add the break and the space in the Actionscript, same thing 2 links. (See the first bullet point in the yellow popup).

The text needs to indent and not wrap under, any suggestions

Posted On: Thursday 25th of October 2012 10:55:10 PM Total Views:  144
View Complete with Replies

Related Messages:

Shortcut to adding listeners to many links?   (108 Views)
Is there an easier way of adding mouse over/out & click listeners to many links on the page For example if I have 6 links on the page, each one is a static text movieclip with its own instance name: - newStoryLink - continueStoryLink - selectChapterLink - optionsLink - charactersLink - aboutLink Is there any easier way than doing the following ActionScript Code: newStoryLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,mouseOverNewStory); newStoryLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT,mouseOutNewStory); continueStoryLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,mouseOverContinueStory); continueStoryLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT,mouseOutContinueStory); selectChapterLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,mouseOverChapters); selectChapterLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT,mouseOutChapters); charactersLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,mouseOverNewStory); charactersLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT,mouseOutNewStory); optionsLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,mouseOverNewStory); optionsLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT,mouseOutNewStory); aboutLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,mouseOverNewStory); aboutLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT,mouseOutNewStory); function mouseOverNewStory(event:MouseEvent):void { //mouse over newstory link newStoryLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,clickNewStory); //add listener for clicking this link TweenMax.to(newStoryLink, 1, {glowFilter:{color:0xFFFFFF, alpha:1, blurX:30, blurY:30}}); //glow on mouseover function clickNewStory(event:MouseEvent):void { currentPage = "new_story"; trace("newStoryClicked"); } } function mouseOutNewStory(event:MouseEvent):void { //mouse out newstory link TweenMax.to(newStoryLink, 1, {glowFilter:{color:0xFFFFFF, alpha:0, blurX:30, blurY:30}}); //remove blur } function mouseOverContinueStory(event:MouseEvent):void { continueStoryLink.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,clickContinueStory); //add listener for clicking this link TweenMax.to(continueStoryLink, 1, {glowFilter:{color:0xFFFFFF, alpha:1, blurX:30, blurY:30}}); //glow on mouseover function clickContinueStory(event:MouseEvent):void { currentPage = "continue_story"; trace("continueStoryClicked"); } } function mouseOutContinueStory(event:MouseEvent):void { TweenMax.to(continueStoryLink, 1, {glowFilter:{color:0xFFFFFF, alpha:0, blurX:30, blurY:30}}); //remove blur } ... ... Then repeat those function pairs for the other 4 links on the page
Flash Close button and links in Flash not working in Firefox   (72 Views)
, I am very new to Flash and actually our graphic designer created this small flash timeline here: http://www.cerner.com/firsthand/Firs....aspxid=32965 For some reason when I test it in Firefox the Close button and the links do not work. Also I know of one person who has the same issue in IE. Most others using IE have no problem what so ever. The actionscript for the close button is: Actionscript Code: close_96.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, fl_ClickToGoToAndPlayFromFrame_4);function fl_ClickToGoToAndPlayFromFrame_4(event:MouseEvent):void{ gotoAndPlay(1);} The actionscript for the links are: Actionscript Code: golf_pics.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, fl_ClickToGoToWebPage_14);function fl_ClickToGoToWebPage_14(event:MouseEvent):void{ navigateToURL(new URLRequest("http://www.wheatphotography.com/firsthand/"), "_blank");} Any help is greatly appreciated. I just don't get why they dont work in Firefox. Maybe some sort of security setting
Enabling links on a flash website   (78 Views)
Hi all, I'm a flash/as2 noob, but am completing a site in Flash. I have an issue with the links I made, e.g. link to another website or to an email. I have embedded the .SWF file on an html page, and when I open the html file and click on the links, I get a prompt saying "Adobe Flash Player has encountered a potentially unsafe operation" ... following that asking me to change my settings. Nothing happens on the email links too. Help me please, I'd appreciate it tonnes
CS3 rotating banner with 2 outward links   (77 Views)
, Flash noob here using cs3/as3. I'm trying to create a simple banner which fades between 2 images, looped. (This I can do!). What I'd like is to have each image link to a different url. I've tried changing the images to buttons with the following actionscript: on (release) { getURL('http://www.mysite.com', '_self'); } but get the following error: Mouse events are permitted only for button instances even though they are buttons! I thought this would be really simple, but obviously not! Any ideas are gratefully received.
Flash banner links not working   (56 Views)
i have created some flash banners with a url embedded in them, so when they are placed on a web page the banner links through to my website when clicked. Fairly simple. But, i tested them on a website on my server to link to another website on the server and they worked fine. When i gave them to a client to embed on their own website (the flash files are hosted on my server still), the links no longer work. Is this a security issue to stop the links working i also checked it in linux and the banners worked, but in windows they do not. i'm a flash newbie so maybe there is something obvious i have missed I dont want the client to have their own local copy of the flash file, as i may update it in the future and dont want to chase up lots of different copies everywhere.
how to include multiple links in as3.0 transitions slideshow   (111 Views)
we created thumbnail image gallery slideshow by using action script with auto and manual,. my requirement is , how to include multiple text link in each and every slideshow. below i mention the script code, code start here /********/ stop(); import mx.transitions.Tween; import mx.transitions.easing.*; System.security.allowDomain("*"); /**************/ var tab_array:Object = new Object() tab_array["tab1"] = {content:"tab1_content"} tab_array["tab2"] = {content:"tab2_content"} tab_array["tab3"] = {content:"tab3_content"} tab_array["tab4"] = {content:"tab4_content"} var auto_array = new Array("tab1", "tab2", "tab3", "tab4"); var currentPorp = new Object(); prev = {tab:'', content:'', active:''} var defaultTab = "tab1"; function setAction() { for(var i in tab_array) { var currentTab = i; var current_mc = this[currentTab]; current_mc.onRollOver = setRollover; current_mc.onRollOut = setRollOut; current_mc.onRelease = setRelease; //set url action //var target_mc = this[tab_array[currentTab].content]; // target_mc._alpha = 0; // target_mc.onRelease = gotoURL; // if(i==defaultTab) { // showTab(defaultTab); // } } } //run this code setAction(); function setRollover(evt) { var current_mc = this; current_mc.gotoAndStop(2); } function setRollOut(evt) { var current_mc = this; if(prev.active != current_mc._name) current_mc.gotoAndStop(1); } function setRelease(evt) { var current_mc = this; current_mc.gotoAndStop(2); //prev.active = current_mc._name; var url = tab_array[current_mc._name].url; var target_mc = tab_array[current_mc._name].content; var current_tab = current_mc._name; currentPorp.url = url; currentPorp.tab = current_tab; currentPorp.target_mc = target_mc; showTab(current_mc._name); setCounter(); stopAutoScroll(); } function setCounter() { for(var i:Number=0;i=auto_array.length) { counter =0; } var tab = auto_array[counter]; showTab(tab); counter++; } function stopAutoScroll() { clearInterval(auto); auto = setInterval(autoScroll, 4000); } function startScroll() { clearInterval(auto); auto = setInterval(autoScroll, 4000); } startScroll(); /***************************/ code ends here. i was included text link in in each slideshow (ie. tab_content_movieclip), its working but that links displayed in all slideshow. for my demo link franklincovey websites actually they done that the flash video in xml. Is it possible to make in actionscript 2.0 or 3.0 by using the above code pls check out the attachments
SWF links open Chrome unexpectedly   (75 Views)
Hi , I'm having a very strange problem. I have a Flash site which uses SWFAddress, it has been working fine for more than a year. Recently I opened the fla file again in order to update the site, which I do often. When I publish the swf to test it and click on a link which is supposed to link to another page within the swf itself, instead this opens up Google Chrome, which appears to be going to chromium.org, then the browser crashes. After this, all links within the swf work normally. This is happening with fla / swf files that were working perfectly fine before, and haven't been modified since. When I upload the file onto the web server to update the site, it behaves a bit randomly; sometimes it works fine, other times the very first clicked link doesn't work, however if I click the same link again or any other link on the page it works fine from then on. Any ideas on what might be causing this strange behaviour would be much appreciated!
generic links   (80 Views)
how do i make an animated button that using AS the gotoAndPlay and the text in it will change
base href problem with links   (82 Views)
I'm using the html "base href" tag. Everything works fine except for emails or url's within the same browser window. ie - this one works: on (release) { getURL ("http://www.google.com", "_blank"); } but this one doesn't respond on (release) { getURL ("http://www.google.com"); } also emails don't work: on (release) { getURL ("mailto:[emailprotected] /* */ "); } Has anyone else found a simple solution
.swf forum signature hyperlinks don't work? Help please.   (84 Views)
, I recently made a .swf file which is hosted here http://www.kemistri-labs.com/Downloads/wowgasmbar2.swf as you can see the hyperlinks work fine and go to the correct sites. My question and impass is that whenever I post this same file as a forum signature it works fine but when I click on the hyperlinks they don't bring up the websites they act like they are dead. Any input or help on this matter will be appreciated! btw the hyperlinks are just Text that I changed to Dynamic text with urls. Thank you in advance for reading and helping me with this silly problem. Patrick Flash CS4 Novice
links from xml to flash   (86 Views)
Hi im trying to load some links from a XML doc to my flash file. Since im just trying to figure this out ive just simply made up a very simple button in my flash movie and given it the instance name of myButton. Below is the xml doc im using as the AS: xml: --------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------- and this is my AS in the first frame of my movie: --------------------------------------------------------------- var myXML=new XML(); myXML.onLoad=function(){ var Button:MovieClip= _root[this.firstNode.childNodes[0].attributes.button]; var theURL:String=this.firstNode.childNodes[0].attributes.url; Button.gotoURL=theURL; Button.onPress=function(){ getURL(this.gotoURL, "_blank"); } } myXML.load("myxml.xml"); --------------------------------------------------------------- But obviously its not working, hence my post, can someone help me out Additional info all this is in AS2
CDROM can access local flv *OR* allow external html links but not both??   (118 Views)
I have been digging forever for a solution for this. We're doing a CDROM with several html pages and embedded swfs, many of which have a built in FLV player that plays local flvs on the CD, but also have text links (using HTML tags) to link to relevant pages online. Setting the security to allow local or network access only seems to allow one of the two but never both. I don't understand why I can't allow it to link to external sites -- ie regular HTML links, no online swfs or flvs or anything else. I'm working in Flash CS4 on a Mac, but publishing for PC DVD-ROM. HELP! thx
opening links in flash   (77 Views)
Will some one advise and guide me how to make a link to the other text/image contents in flash pro 8. I have now created one swf file and I intent to create/ add some more pages.contents are lengthy and I want to use text to scroll by using The Flashtuning Scroll Bar or using Uiscroolbar from the components. when I click the linkbuttons the link pages should open/in the flash itslef. swf file is in url: http://padasalgi.tripod.com/ac.html
Adding hyperlinks to flash buttons, CS3 professional   (74 Views)
Hi all So I have made my buttons in flash, I now need to add a hyperlink to them so the user can naviagte around my site, could some one point me in the right direction please!!! many
[CS3] Simple conditional in as3 for links page   (236 Views)
! How to make simple conditional or loop I have much much more links... Code: function link1 (e:MouseEvent):void{ var url:String = "http://www.link1.com"; var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest(url); navigateToURL(request, "_top"); } link-button1.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, link1); function link2 (e:MouseEvent):void{ var url:String = "http://www.link2.com"; var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest(url); navigateToURL(request, "_top"); } link-button2.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, link2); function link3 (e:MouseEvent):void{ var url:String = "http://www.link3.com"; var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest(url); navigateToURL(request, "_top"); } link-button3.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, link3); What is the simplest way to write a code for links pages in actionscript3 Thanx!
[NEW USERS] - You can't post links until you've made 5 posts   (132 Views)
As the title says Until you have been a member at the forums for 30 days and made 30 posts, you will be a restricted user. This means that you will be unable to: Create a signature to appear at the bottom of your posts; Upload an avatar for use in your profile; Change your user title to any custom text. Post in the shoutbox on the forums index. Upload attachments into post.In addition, the first five posts of any users will have URLS and EMAIL ADDRESSES automatically purged from them. This is intended to deter people from signing up with the intent of spamming. Forum rules and Guidelines - Full list of forum rules and guidelines. christo
wanted: textHTML links that trigger function instead of call URL   (76 Views)
Im working on a game with text adventure-style navigation, and Id like to be able to add links to text which would trigger a function (moving the player to a new location) instead of calling a URL. Is there a way to do this without getting into callURL, loaders and XML If you can help me, or point to a thread where this has been done,
website links in as3   (256 Views)
This must have been done before and be really easy but I am a newbie so just keep coming up with compiler errors. I have built a website in flash cs4 using as3. I have set up the time line so that each different page on the website exists at a different position on the timeline. Sections have been labeled so that I can jump to that section upon button click. What happens is when the link to the page/section is clicked the timeline jumps to that section and plays an animation that animates the page onto the stage then stops.("in animation") When you click another link the page should animate off of the stage ("out animation")and the next one animates in. (I have set the time line up so that after each "in" animation there is a stop and after each "out" animation there is a stop.) This is where i'm having the problem. I have set up event listeners for the button clicks But i can only get them to either play the "out" animation then that stops, using this code: Code: home.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickSection); about.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickSection); contact.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickSection); function clickSection(evtObj:MouseEvent) { play(); } or jump to the next section using this code: Code: home.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickSection); about.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickSection); contact.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickSection); function clickSection(evtObj:MouseEvent) { gotoAndPlay(evtObj.target.name); } What i would like to know is how to add the two together so that when a button is clicked the information about what was clicked is added to a variable. The function plays the out animation then when that is complete checks the variable where the page clicked information is then jumps to that section on the timeline and plays it's "in" animation Sorry for the long explanation, but I thought more facts would be better than less Jamie
AS3 URL links open in new page?? Why??   (76 Views)
Can someone help me with this line of code When the button is pressed, it tries to open in a new tab or in a new window (depending on if you are using Firefox or IE) and first gets blocked by the pop up blocker. How can I make this where it opens without targeting "_blank" Code: { var targetURL:URLRequest = new URLRequest("http://nameofwebsite.com/about.htm"); navigateToURL(targetURL); this.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, goURL); }
Hyperlinks in scrollbar.....   (66 Views)
Hi all, I am unable to solve the problem of placing hyperlinks and making these hyperlinks to scroll by using a Scrollbar. But, I didn't get any solution since long time. I think "someone" can help me in this context. Why don't you think that someone is "U".So, please, place your hand in this post for mysake. I am new to ActionScript 3.0 and Flash. Help me.. Reply me...atleast a hint or a basic idea is required.