SEARCH YOUR SOLUTION HERE  

Automatically update value in the subform from Crossstab query

I have a main form which has 2 subforms. The main form is the name of the Student. The first subform is the data entry form. It has 2 fields. One for the Trimester - a drop down which has "1, 2, 3" listed. And the second field is the benchmarks (again drop down). Now the second subform is a more elaborate way of viewing (only for viewing purposes) which standards have been chosen for which trimester. Now this form's control source is a Crossstab query, which updates the Trimester field for each of the benchmarks for the particular student.

Now my problem is I am trying to update this subform which is for viewing purposes only, automatically, so that the moment a benchmark is chosen on the other subform, the [trimester] field automatcially gets updated on this form. the benchmarks are listed on this form (view form) and a field which is the trimester field. Data entry is not allowed in this form. So the information has to get updated automatically. It does when I close and open the form, but thats not how it should work.

I tried everything I thought possible (requery, refresh, a button to click) but couldn't get the form to update.

Please help! I would really appreciate if you could help me find a solution.

Posted On: Monday 22nd of October 2012 05:30:50 AM Total Views:  413
View Complete with Replies

Related Messages:

Combo boxes / automatically filling in boxes   (170 Views)
Hi , I'm having a little trouble. I have made a combo box with these relevant fields, however I would like it so when I select the company name instead of having this long line next to it I would like it to fill the relevant boxes on the form. How would I go about doing this
Time lag when connecting to access after updated to XP   (163 Views)
My office workstation took a very long time to connect to database in Access 2003 after upgrading to Windows XP, a few minutes need to be taken just to open a simple form which normally takes less than 10 seconds. In simple words, whenever it has to retrieve data from the db, it will be super lagging . The rest of the workstations running on Windows 2000 were running perfectly fine. The database is located on the host pc, which is running Windows 2000. Initially we suspected that it might be because of the insufficient RAM. Thus it was changed from 1GB to 2GB. But even after changing to 2GB, the problem still exists. Can anyone please advice me on how to check and rectify this problem What can be the cause of this problem
Export from Access to SQL automatically   (89 Views)
Hi - I have a client that would like to export an news email list from their Access database into an SQL database that we use to send newsletter emails. Does anyone know of a simple way to; a: Export a table of data from Access to a csv file automatically. b: have an SQL database look for a updates to the csv and import all - or all new data into a table in SQL Any tips would be grateful - I know the task here sounds over complicated but my client does not have the budget to redesign their Access database into SQL, I have CRON running on the same server as the Access database, this could be a handling method for the automation, but I'm not sure if again I am over complicating things here myself, and Access / SQL have the capabilities of doing these things independantly. Many
Using VB script to automatically add reference and detect filepath that *.mdb is on   (150 Views)
Is there a way for visual basic to detect where the directory filepath of where the *.mdb file is running on and use that filepath to automatically register the *.dll and *.tbl files... The reason for this is because the application can be installed on a D drive other than the C drive. Using the Visual Basic Editor's menu to add a reference is a moot point also because of this.
Making MsgBox disappear automatically....   (85 Views)
, Is there a way to make message box disappear automatically after few seconds.... Thx, Jatz
My update also inserts!!   (108 Views)
This one is very annoying... i have a button that is supposed to update a record based on the record id. when i click the button, it not only updates the record, but it also creates a new record with just the default values i have set for the table. no other values are entered into the table. here is the code that is relevant to the problem: Code: Dim DAOdb As Database Dim DAOrs As dao.Recordset Dim sSQL As String Set DAOdb = CurrentDb() sSQL = "Select * from StopwatchRecord where StopwatchRecord.ID=" & Me.hidID & ";" Set DAOrs = DAOdb.OpenRecordset(sSQL) With DAOrs .Edit .Fields("StartTime") = Me.StartTime.Value .Fields("EndTime") = Me.EndTime.Value .Fields("ElapsedTime") = Me.ElapsedTime.Value .Fields("Comments") = Me.Comments.Value .Update End With MsgBox "Record Saved" DAOrs.Close DAOdb.Close Please help! this is driving me nuts
Menu Bar updates   (102 Views)
I have a split db placed on a server that I'm currently making updates to. I have a custom menu that my users are, well...using, and I need to add a couple of options to the menu portion of it. Here's where the problem comes in, I make the appropriate changes to the db, and I have my users go to the shared drive, copy the FE, and paste it to thier desktops. When I do this on my own desktop it works fine and I can see the changes, but when the other users do it, the same old menu is there Why would it change for me and not for them Can anyone help me out
Wierd Prob: Cannot update SQL Server text-fields for some records, but can for others   (171 Views)
, I have a very strange problem: I have a table linked to an SQL Server table in my MS Access 2000 Application containing 5 text-fields (SQL Server Type, in Access seen as MEMO-fields) and several other fields (in total about 140 fields). Updating any field works fine except for some records. In those records I can only edit the non-text-fields in my application. When I try to edit one of the text-fields I get a error message telling me that another user has edited the record and i have to discard my changes. The strange thing is that this problem only crops up for some records. (1 in a 100 or so) other records work fine. Does anyone know what happens here And how this can be fixed
Use report parameter to update table upon printing   (132 Views)
I have a form in which I have a Print Report button. The button currently runs a a report I created. I have a parameter which prompts for an input for the SQL query within the report. Is it possible, upon report closure or after print completion, to have this parameter and the current date (the report is printed on) be saved in the appropriate fields within the same record set the report query just printed
How to open a form which automatically populates customer details   (108 Views)
I have been working on a database but I have quite basic knowledge. I have a customer contact form created in which i can press a command button to open a new form which allows me to detail what equipment they have ordered. What I would like is the equipment form to automatically populate the customer name ect from the contact form. I hope that makes sense
How do I update Inventory in Access   (112 Views)
all, I have a form where the user enters the item purchased and the quantity - I want that quantity entered in the customer invoice to be deducted from the Quantity_On_Hand field in the Inventory table. What would be the best way to accomplish this I assume I would need to enter an expression in the after update on the quantity in the customer invoice What I have tried so far has accomplished nothing but errors.
Use usernames to update information in reports   (217 Views)
Good morning to you all. I have created a database for my company to monitor all of our cases. Within this database i use reports to create standard letters for our housing advisers to send out to clients and contractor. What i need to do now is to find an easy way to update the name at the bottom of the letters. For example if John Doe sent a letter it would automatically put his name at the bottom but if Jane Doe sent one it would be hers. After consulting with other members of staff they suggested individual usernames that they signed in on and the letters would update to reflect the user currently signed in. I wasnt sure if this was possible but said i would look into it. However a search on the internet did not yeild any results. So i am asking you good people if there is any possible way to achieve my goal Do not worry if my aim is impossible as i have a backup plan of creating a drop down box will all the staff names. WHich would be much easier to create but to make the staffs lives easier i will attempt the user name idea. Thankyou for your time
SQL Query for insert and update   (114 Views)
I have two queries to insert and update the record entries stSql = "INSERT INTO [Temperature] (AreaID, City, Code) VALUES (" & txtAreaId.Value & ", " & txtCity.Value & ", " & comboCode.Value & ")" rs.Open stSql, con rs.Close (Error occuring here) stSql1 = "UPDATE [Temperature] SET TEMP1 = " & txtTemp1.Value & " WHERE AreaID = " & txtAreaId.Value & " " rs.Open stSql1, con rs.Close I'm getting the following error "operation is not allowed when the object is closed". Can any one help me out in resolving this issue.
Multiple Forms to update One Table   (118 Views)
Help! I have a database with 4 forms that will allow the user to enter various degrees of information. FOr example, if the user answers yes on the first form, they are auto directed to the second form. However, each form is trying to create a new row on the table and what i need it to do is append to the row created by the first form! How do I make this happen Do i need the forms to be nested in each other to do this
Changing from insert to update   (100 Views)
I have code that collects a yes or no (plus IP and date) for customers subscribing to a newsletter. Originally this data was collected in its own mailinglist table, but I've moved the appropriate fields to the orders table. The original code used the INSERT INTO command. I know need to change this to an UPDATE statement, otherwise with each customer order, the mailing list info is being added to a separate row. I've tried many ways to convert the following code to an UPDATE statement but I walys get syntax errors. if NOT emailexists AND instr(theemail,"@")>0 AND instr(theemail, ".")>0 then cnn.Execute("INSERT INTO orders (email,isconfirmed,mlConfirmDate,mlIPAddress) VALUES ('" & replace(theemail,"'","''") & "'," & IIfVr(noconfirmationemail,1,0)&","&datedelim&date( )&datedelim&",'"&left(request.servervariables("REM OTE_ADDR"), 48)&"')") What I tried was: UPDATE orders SET email,isconfirmed,mlConfirmDate,mlIPAddress = '" & replace(theemail,"'","''") & "'," & IIfVr(noconfirmationemail,1,0)&","&datedelim&date( )&datedelim&",'"&left(request.servervariables("REM OTE_ADDR"), 48)&"')") Am I just missing something minor, like quotes, or is this not possible to do with that replace statement
How do I update a database with new data without corrupting data?   (119 Views)
I am an Access novice and have an issue that I need resolved asap please!! I have set up a database set up in Access which contains a number of columns, some of which update regularly. On the back of spreadsheets I receive in Excel, I will need to update some of the columns in Access. So far I have taken the columns that need updating from the spreadsheet and put them into an Access database. What I now need to do is transfer the new data into the existing database. Some records may have been deleted since the last update, some may have been added and some may just have changed information. Either way, all these changes must be reflected. Obviously I can't copy/paste because then, due to deleted / added records the rows will not match up! There is a ref no for each row which acts as the primary key in the main database. The new database I have just created from the excel spreadsheet has the same primary key. Hope this makes a little bit of sense. Help would be very much appreciated!
Calculatino fields automatically in a form   (140 Views)
I need to calculate a field using other fields in the query/form. Code: TARGET DAYS TOTAL 300 1 300 400 2 800 300 3 900 400 1 400 if the day=2 then target*2 and if day=3 then target*3 else target. For Day 1 the target will be entered. I need to calculate the target for the rest of the days. I'm not sure where to calculate this, in the form or at the query level.
Retreiving updated records old data in Access File   (113 Views)
I have a VB6 application talking to Access DB. The program was suppose to do some audit tracking but due to a bug it didn't create data in Audit table. Is there a way i can retreive data which is updated (Old values) for 2 tables. If there is a tool/utility i can buy please let me know.
Macros to update table?   (104 Views)
Okay, here's what I'm trying to do... I have a form, and I want to be able to automatically log the time that users are working on that particular project. This is my thought process, and I just can't get it to work. I'm using Access2000, and I'm still somewhat new to figuring it out. 1st Time button - start time - this would be a macro that goes and updates a table that has the start time, end time, project id and an autonumber field (so it will just keep adding to the table). There would be a date & time stamp that goes into the start time column. 2nd Time button - end time - Same basic function - it would put a date/time stamp into the end time field. I want to use this to create a record to show how long the user was working on the project (end time - start time = time worked). I've tried setting up macros, and I can't get them to actually update the table. I've had little experience with macros and I could really use some help.
ERROR: Operation must use an updateable query.   (340 Views)
asp code: Code: error: Code: Error Type: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005) [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query. /site/content/register_act.asp, line 13 It's says it has something to do with permissions... I set writing & reading permissions for the db and the directory that contains it through contorl panel->Administrative Tools->Internet Information Services I have no "security tab" when I rightclick->properties the db file or it's directory even though the file system is NTFS in spite all these when I rightclick->properties the directory that contains the db I see a "read only" square marked in the general tab-attributes, when I try to unmark it seems to be unmarked but when I rightclick->properties again it's marked again... what should I do