===============================================================

Want to share your experience and expertise PyCon 2009 is looking for
proposals to fill the formal presentation tracks. The PyCon conference
days will be March 27-29, 2009 in Chicago, Illinois, preceded by the
tutorial days (March 25-26), and followed by four days of development
sprints (March 30-April 2).

Previous PyCon conferences have had a broad range of presentations,
from reports on academic and commercial projects to tutorials and case
studies. We hope to continue that tradition this year.

Online proposal submission will open on September 29, 2008. Proposals
will be accepted through November 03, with acceptance notifications
coming out on December 15. For the detailed call for proposals, please
see:

We look forward to seeing you in Chicago!

Posted On: Wednesday 7th of November 2012 12:23:24 PM Total Views:  317
View Complete with Replies

Related Messages:

Non-blocking subprocess call   (158 Views)
I'm currently using os.popen in an application of mine, which calls for non-blocking data, in this fashion: self.file = os.popen('echo %s | sudo -S /sw/bin/fink -y install %s' % (self.passtext, self.packagename), 'r', os.O_NONBLOCK) What is the equivalent/comparable call in the new subprocess module I can't find any reference in the Python docs to non-blocking streams. -- Kevin Walzer Code by Kevin http://www.codebykevin.com
How can I know the name of "caller"   (69 Views)
, unfortunately, I'm compelled to apply a sort of monkey patching at the code of an existing libreary that I can't modify directly. Here's my question Having such code: class test: def caller(self): self.b() def called(self): pass ....(if it is possible) how can I get, from method "called", the name of function/method that called it (in this case "caller")
Reminder: call for proposals "Python Language and Libraries Track"for Europython 2006   (96 Views)
Registration for Europython (3-5 July) at CERN in Geneva is now open, if you feel submitting a talk proposal there's still time until the 31th of May. If you want to talk about a library you developed, or you know well and want to share your knowledge, or about how you are making the best out of Python through inventive/elegant idioms and patterns (or if you are a language guru willing to disseminate your wisdom), you can submit a proposal for the Python Language and Libraries track """ A track about Python the Language, all batteries included. Talks about the language, language evolution, patterns and idioms, implementations (CPython, IronPython, Jython, PyPy ...) and implementation issues belong to the track. So do talks about the standard library or interesting 3rd-party libraries (and frameworks), unless the gravitational pull of other tracks is stronger. """ The full call and submission links are at: http://www.europython.org/sections/t...-for-proposals Samuele Pedroni, Python Language and Libraries Track Chair
ANN: Python_calltips 1.0 realeased   (342 Views)
http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/s...script_id=1074 This is a script of Vim editor. It simualate code calltips in a new bottow window of Vim. In fact, it display python help doc strings of word under the cursor by scanning the imported modules in the current file. It can also implement word complete automatically. It's very useful for python newbie using Vim editor! Change: 1.get rid of F4 key. You can get tips without any extral keys 2.support multi buffers 3.hightlight calltips syntax. Thank Staale flock and Levin Du help
ANN:pyCallTips 0.5, a script make Vim support calltips for Python   (109 Views)
If some pythoner complain that Vim don't support calltips of python, now I implement it. Try it and wish you enjoy it. http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/s...script_id=1074 Intro: This script simualate code calltips in a new bottow window of Vim. In fact, it display python help doc strings of word under the cursor by scanning the imported modules in the current file. 0.5 enhance 0.3 and fix many bugs.
The Python multiple IDE Collaboration calls for coders   (91 Views)
Dear Pythoneers, Looking at IDE's I can have three observations: 1. For some reasons numerous users prefer to use an open source IDE. 2. For some reasons numerous python programmers like to develop an open source IDE. 3. For some reasons the open source python IDE developers are not collaborating at all. The reasons for 1 or 2 are obvious, at least to me. Recently I have been wondering about the reason for 3. (Probably a lot of python programmers have wondered about this already for ages, but ok I might be slow ;-) I came to the conclusion that there was *NO* reason. As this was so clear, I started to invite all the authors of IDE's personally to collaborate all together. I hope that I didn't forget any, because there are so many. What is really nice, is that we feel the same: we should work together and share as much as possible. We don't want to waste our (often spare) time on reinventing wheels. Almost all IDE's (except of two) are participating no matter if they use Tkinter, wxPython, pyQT, Cocoa, pyGTK, ... (So this could open doors for an ajax python editor, who knows. Any python web framework like Django, Turbogears, ... interested in that) These projects are participating: NewEdit, scrIDE, Eric3, Leo IDE, ActiveGrid, PIDA, drPython, pyDev, PyCrust, IPython, WinPdb debugger, Extended Python Debugger, PyLint, Gaphor, Envisage, Dabo, SilverCity & SPE. It is not about unification, but about a little bit more collaboration. There are always libraries to share, more as we might think. In order to give the project shape I started building a (wiki based) website in plone which together with a mailing list should give a good platform for collaboration. (You need to login to edit wiki's.) the developers are already invited, but willing to code or contribute (documentation, translation, artwork, plone website, ..) is welcome. If you work on open source project which might be of interest (parsing, uml, framework, ...) please join or invite the projects which you think should participate as well. We will probably work in smaller teams on the various aspects of IDE's and tools. If this project succeeds it could be a major win for the Python community. These are some useful links: - homepage: http://pyxides.stani.be - mail list: http://pyxides.stani.be/polls/mailing - starting mail: http://pyxides.stani.be/wiki/StartingEmail - developers reaction: http://pyxides.stani.be/wiki/AuthorsOfIDEsTools - poll: http://pyxides.stani.be/polls/200603...opoll_results2 Stani PS IDLE is the only one which didn't answer my invitation yet, but we'd love them to be in the team as well. (Kurt) -- http://pythonide.stani.be
Simple Python interface for making automatic phone calls   (95 Views)
The Voicent Python Simple Interface class contains the following functions. callText callAudio callStatus callRemove callTillConfirm These functions are used to invoke telephone calls from your Python program. For example, callText is used to call a specified number and automatically play your text message using text-to-speech engine. In order for this class to work, you'll need to have Voicent Gateway installed somewhere in your network. This class simply sends HTTP request for telephone calls to the gateway. Voicent has a free edition for the gateway. You can download it from http://www.voicent.com More information can be found at: http://www.voicent.com/devnet/docs/pyapi.htm Thank you and have fun
Python Cookbook Second Edition call for submissions   (79 Views)
Greetings, fellow Pythonistas! We (Alex Martelli, David Ascher and Anna Martelli Ravenscroft) are in the process of selecting recipes for the Second Edition of the Python Cookbook. Please contribute your recipes (code and discussion), along with comments on and ratings of existing recipes, to the cookbook site, http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python , and do it *now*! The Python Cookbook is a collaborative collection of your contributions to Python lore, with code available for use and review at http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python . ActiveState and O'Reilly Media provide resources to publish selected recipes from this collection -- selected, edited, and organized into chapters, each of which starts with an essay by an expert in the chapter's topic -- into a book titled (duh!) "Python Cookbook". The First Edition of "Python Cookbook" appeared in 2002, is still in print (selling well), and has met with the kind of sales and review success you all deserved, as a unique book with over 200 recipes by over 100 authors on all sorts of topics relevant to Python versions from 1.5.2 to 2.2. Nevertheless, Python has grown in important ways since then, and deserves an encore: the Second Edition of "Python Cookbook" will appear in 2005 and will focus strictly on Python 2.3 and 2.4. Please contribute to the cookbook site *now* for your submissions to be considered for publication. We especially like recipes that include relevant discussion (not just code), and we're biased in favour of recipes "showing off" specific techniques in code snippets (rather than large, complete programs). Useful comments can also qualify you for the coveted "contributor" status. We're particularly interested in materials based on the new features of Python 2.4 -- Python 2.4 (alpha 2 at the time of this writing) is currently available for download at www.python.org, so, get going: download it, install it, try it out, and submit recipes based on it! As was done for the First Edition, contributors whose recipes and comments we use in the book will receive a complimentary copy of the Second Edition, and a portion of all royalties will go to the non-profit Python Software Foundation. As for the First Edition, recipes to be included in the Second Edition should be licensed under the modified Berkeley license, making them candidates for inclusion in a future Python distribution. Submission deadlines (for possible publication in the Second Edition): Materials based on Python 2.3: Saturday, September 4, 2004 Materials specific to Python 2.4: Saturday, September 25, 2004 Alex
Open source English dictionary to use programmatically w/ python   (91 Views)
Can anyone point me to a downloadable open source English dictionary suitable for programmatic use with python: I'm programming a puzzle generator, and I need to be able to generate more or less complete lists of English words, alphabetized.
adding properties dynamically (how to?)   (112 Views)
Andr a crit : > I didn't want to hijack the original thread but I have basically the > same request... > > On Aug 17, 7:09 am, Bruno Desthuilliers > wrote: >> akonsu a crit :> hello, >> > [SNIP] > >> Wrong solution to your problem, I'd say. Let's start again: >> >> """ >> > i need to add properties to instances dynamically during run time. >> > this is because their names are determined by the database contents. >> """ >> >> Care to elaborate I may be wrong, but I suspect you're trying to roll >> your own python/database mapper. If so, there are quite a couple Python >> ORMs around. Else, please tell us more. > > I'm not the original poster, but I'd like to do the same thing (for a > different reason). > > I have a program (crunchy) that is extensible via plugins. New > options available via plugins can be turned on or off (or selected > among a list of options). I have a module for user preferences (let's > call it prefs.py) that allows the setting of these options (and do > error checking, automatic saving of the options selected for future > sessions, etc.). These options are implemented as properties. > > Currently I have it simplified so that only two lines need to be added > to prefs.py to add new options; something like > options = { ... > 'new_option': [value1, value2, ..., valueN], > ...} > > and > class Preferences(object): > ... > > new_option = make_property('new_option', 'some nicely worded help > string') > > === > make_property is a custom define function that return fgets, fsets, > fdel and doc. You may want to write your own descriptor object instead. The 'property' class is just one possible way to use the descriptor protocol for "smart" attributes. > Ideally, I'd like to be able to define new would-be properties from > the plugin and add them to the class prior to creating instances. In > other words, have something like > > === > for option in options_defined_in_plugins: > add_option_as_property_to_Preferences(Preferences, option, ...) > > user_preferences = Preferences() Not the same problem as the OP here. Your properties are not per-instance, so just adding them to the class is ok. Remember that in Python, classes are objects too, and (a couple corner cases set aside) nothing prevent you from dynamically adding attributes to an object. The following snippets are equivalent: class Foo1(object): attrib = object() class Foo2(object): pass Foo2.attrib = object() class Foo3(object): pass setattr(Foo3, 'attrib', object())
why does this call to re.findall() loop forever?   (126 Views)
Hi , I am using Python's re module to extract some data from html. The following code never returns, and I was wondering if someone can explain to me why. Is this a problem with my regexp (I tried really hard to find it) The string contains three records (list items in a html page). Notice that NONE of them matches the regexp: these records do not contain the "title" element which the regexp expects inside ''. The weird thing is that removing any of the three records makes findall() immediately return an empty list, while if I pass all three records to findall() it never returns. Why does this happen This is using python 2.6.
wrapping a method function call?   (93 Views)
I am instantiating a class A (which I am importing from somebody else, so I can't modify it) into my class X. Is there a way I can intercept or wrape calls to methods in A I.e., in the code below can I call x.a.p1() and get the output X.pre A.p1 X.post Many TIA! Mark class A: # in my real application, this is an imported class # that I cannot modify def p1(self): print 'A.p1' class X: def __init__(self): self.a=A() def pre(self): print 'X.pre' def post(self): print 'X.post' x=X() x.a.p1() -- Mark Harrison Pixar Animation Studios
PyGUI - Couple of questions - TextField callbacks and drop downlist....   (103 Views)
The PyGUI website specified this place as the place for general discussion about it, so here goes.... First off - thanks for something that is so straightforward to get running on OSX... I've been migrating some relatively straight-forward scripts-with-GUIs from Linux to OSX, and, while I used FLTK on Linux, I could not get pyfltk to install on OSX. PyGUI was so straightforward, though. Made me a very happy bunny. Fortunately, I wrote most of the pyfltk-specific code in a helper module, so I got that transferred over to PyGUI easily enough. But there were a few things that I ran up against.... So... A couple of questions for you all... TextField callbacks... I want to be able to generate a callback when a textfield is modified. The text field has to only allow a very specific format in it, and in fltk, I'd just have the callback be a validation function which would either reset it to the old value or allow the current one. It doesn't appear to have an "action" member... Is there anything I can do here Or should I maybe subclass the TextField class..... Drop-down lists... There's a menu, but, apparently, no drop-down list class. For now, I've replaced it with a RadioGroup, which is okay, for now, as I know that there aren't going to be any more than 3 items, but I can see situations where I'd really rather have a drop-down list a part of the GUI, rather than in the menu at the top of the screen. Anyway, any advice on this would be much appreciated! For the kind of thing that I'm doing, it's very appreciated that there's something that's very straightforward to install. Hugh Macdonald
Re: [Python-Dev] Python 2.5.3: call for patches   (87 Views)
Martin, -On [20081007 09:27], "Martin v. Lwis" (martin@v.loewis.de) wrote: >Within a few weeks, we will release Python 2.5.3. This will be the last >bug fix release of Python 2.5, afterwards, future releases of 2.5 will >only include security fixes, and no binaries (for Windows or OSX) will >be provided anymore (from python.org). Since we tripped over these with Trac/Genshi we would appreciate if the following could be applied (if not already): http://bugs.python.org/issue2231 http://bugs.python.org/issue2246 (http://bugs.python.org/issue2321 seems to be in 2.5 already based on the last comment) -- Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven / asmodai http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/ | GPG: 2EAC625B Ignorance is the opportunity to learn...
Re: add method to class dynamically?   (108 Views)
En Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:37:11 -0200, Jean-Paul Calderone escribi: > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:29:08 -0400, Neal Becker > wrote: >> I have a class (actually implemented in c++ using boost:ython). For >> an instance of this class, 'r', I'd like to support len (r). I don't >> want to add it to the c++ code, because this is a unique situation: >> this class should not normally support len(). >> >> So I try: >> r = ring_int (10) >> r.__len__ = lambda: 10 >> >> This doesn't work: >>>>> len(r) >> TypeError: object of type 'ring_int' has no len() > Special methods aren't looked up in the instance dict of instances of > new-style classes. Exactly what constitutes the set of "special methods" > is a bit undefined. Consider anything that CPython has to look up to > satisfy some other operation, such as len or +, to be a special method > and don't rely on _either_ it being looked up on the instance or it _not_ > being looked up on the instance (ie, don't put a method there and expect > it > not to be called). The methods which are actually considered special by > CPython can change and has in the past. special methods have names like "__special__" (except "next" -used in the iterator protocol- which will become __next__ in 3.0; any others) - this is stated here http://docs.python.org/reference/lex...of-identifiers. (But I'm sure you already knew that) To the OP: you may use a "template method". In the C++ class do the equivalent of: class Ring_int(int): def __len__(self): return self._len_impl() def _len_impl(self): raise NotImplementedError Now you can override _len_impl in the instance: py> r = Ring_int(10) py> r._len_impl = lambda: 10 py> len(r) 10 Note that hasattr(r, '__len__') is true, don't use that check in this case. -- Gabriel Genellina
Re: Would this be called a bug in inspect ?   (77 Views)
En Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:57:55 -0300, Stef Mientki escribi: > I'm not familiar with inspect, > but I get an error (see below) in > getmembers ( wx ) > > Of course this is bug in wx . Yes. > But would you also call this a bug in inspect > (inspect crashes and doesn't continue with th rest of the code, nor it > returns the already gathered data) getmembers works fine; try m=getmembers(wx) and see. It fails when you attemp to print (or pprint) the returned list. -- Gabriel Genellina
parsing a site/page that uses/calls javascript functions...   (106 Views)
Hi... I've got a couple of test apps that I use to parse/test different html webpages. However, I'm now looking at how to parse a given site/page that uses javascript calls to dynamically create/display the resulting HTML. I can see the HTML is the Browser page if I manually select the btn that invokes the javascript function, but I have no idea how to create an app that can effectively parse the page. My test apps use python, along with mechanize/browser/urllib. I've seen sites/docs that discuss selenium, spidermonkey, etc... If possible, I'm trying to find a complete example (that walks through how to setup the environment, to how to finally extract the DOM elements of a given javascript page), or I'm looking to find someone I can work with, to create a complete example that can then be posted to the 'net. I'd really rather have a headless browser solution, as my overall goal is to run a parsing/crawling over a number of pages that utilize javascript.. Pointers, thoughts, comments, etc will be greatly appreciated.
Pyflix, confused about super() call   (100 Views)
Anyone using Pyflix for the Netflix prize. How can it call super to itself in its init-method --------------------- #!/usr/bin/env python '''Sample baseline averaging algorithms.''' import numpy as N from pyflix.algorithms import Algorithm class MovieAverage(Algorithm): '''Baseline algorithm that computes the average of all the votes for a movie and predicts that for every user. This algorithm returns an RMSE score of 1.0528 on the scrubbed dataset. ''' def __init__(self, training_set): self._movie_averages = {} super(MovieAverage,self).__init__(training_set) def __call__(self, movie_id, user_id): try: return self._movie_averages[movie_id] except KeyError: avg = N.average(self._training_set.movie(movie_id).ratings()) self._movie_averages[movie_id] = avg return avg class UserAverage(Algorithm): '''Baseline algorithm that computes the average of all the votes for a user and predicts that for every movie. This algorithm returns an RMSE score of 1.0688 on the scrubbed dataset. ''' def __init__(self, training_set): self._user_averages = {} super(UserAverage,self).__init__(training_set) def __call__(self, movie_id, user_id): try: return self._user_averages[user_id] except KeyError: avg = N.average(self._training_set.user(user_id).ratings()) self._user_averages[user_id] = avg return avg class DoubleAverage(MovieAverage,UserAverage): '''Returns the average of L{MovieAverage} and L{UserAverage}. This algorithm returns an RMSE score of 1.0158 on the scrubbed dataset. ''' def __call__(self, movie_id, user_id): return (MovieAverage.__call__(self,movie_id,user_id) + UserAverage.__call__(self,movie_id,user_id)) / 2
Re: Would this be called a bug in inspect ?   (78 Views)
Terry Reedy wrote: > Stef Mientki wrote: > >> print getmembers ( wx ) >> crashes >> >> but not always: >> >>> print getmembers (wx) >> [('ACCEL_ALT', 1), ('ACCEL_CMD', 2), ('ACCEL_CTRL', 2), >> ('ACCEL_NORMAL', 0), ('ACCEL_SHIFT', 4), ('ADJUST_MINSIZE', 0), ( > > I suspect that wx has an erratic bug, which their tests do not catch. > So I would send this off to them. I did, and the bug is already fixed, but I need some more time to update, while most of my programs crash with the newer version. But the real point is, should a module like inspect not be insensitive to these kind of errors cheers, Stef > >> >>> print getmembers (wx) >> Traceback (most recent call last): >> File "", line 1, in >> File "P:\Python\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_gdi.py", >> line 242, in __repr__ >> def __repr__(self): return 'wx.Colour' + >> str(self.Get(True)) >> File "P:\Python\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_gdi.py", >> line 230, in Get >> return _gdi_.Colour_Get(*args, **kwargs) >> TypeError: in method 'Colour_Get', expected argument 1 of type >> 'wxColour *' > > -- > http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list
How does python call OS?   (115 Views)
I just finished reading a chapter in "Python Programming on Win32" and tried out the pythonwin scribble application. I'm not sure if I got it right because I could not open a new document. I tried to download the source code as referenced in the chm file but it is corrupted. I cut and pasted from my softcopy of the book. I see the next sub-chapter on wxWindows for python and the previous sub-chapter on TK. This is looking a lot like other scripting languages (such as perl and groovy and even java). Can python call anything directly or does someone have to write a DLL in C/C++ that calls the function first