SEARCH YOUR SOLUTION HERE  

Get encoding name

Hi everybody,

Would anybody of you please tell me how can I know the encoding name
of a file with in which I saved a text file

Like - I saved a file with name "test.text" and encoding unicode.

I want to extract "unicode" or whatever we take encoding while saving.

Posted On: Monday 5th of November 2012 02:01:46 AM Total Views:  508
View Complete with Replies

Related Messages:

vc6 exception not getting caught in vs2k5   (269 Views)
My application has a small JNI piece written in C++. This piece was developed using VC++ 2k5. We statically link with some .lib's which were built using vc6. I see that exceptions thrown by some api's in these .lib's are not getting caught but are causing the app to crash. When this code was "ported" to vc6 this wasn't observed. It so happens we also support HPUX n Solaris n it works fine there too. Why's this happening
ostringstream and sgetn() weirdness   (243 Views)
hi, i have come aross a strange problem with a bit of code that uses a ostringstream to build up a string and i extract the string into a user buf via the sgetn() call instead of via the str() method. however, it appears that when the contents extracted via sgetn() are invalid for the first extract. below is a test prog that demonstrates the issue. we are using Forte 7.0 on solaris 5.8; i dont have access to gcc (or any other c++ compiler). can someone tell me where i'm going wrong thanks ray #include #include #include #include #include using namespace std; int main(int argc, char* argv[]) { try { ostringstream dump; size_t sz = 0; if (argc == 1) { dump sgetn(tmp, 4); tmp[4] = NULL; dump.seekp(0); // this comes out as empty string!!! cout
'Password protected screen saver' is not getting activated!!   (403 Views)
I have an simple MFC dialog based application. On launch of that application 'Password protected screen saver' is not getting activated after the screen saver timeout. If 'On resume, password protect' option unchecked, I am getting the Screen saver. Application not generating any of the keyboard or any user events to disturb the system. If I exit the application every thing works normal(Means password protected screen saver gets activates after screen saver time out period.) Please help me in understanding, why 'Password protected screen saver' is not getting activated.
How to get rid of VC warning C4239?   (264 Views)
there, I am writing a C++ wrapper for different underlying xml libraries. In order to minimize the use of pointers, i provide a class template to wrap an xml node object pointer, using the pimpl idiom: template class basic_xml_node { typedef basic_xml_node node_type; public: ... // copy constructor: accept a non-const RHS basic_xml_node(node_type& rhs): pimpl_(rhs.pimpl_) { } // copy assignment: accept a non-const RHS node_type& operator=(node_type& rhs) { pimpl_ = rhs.pimpl_; return *this; } // non-const member function. void set_localname(std::string const& localname) { pimpl_->set_localname(localname); } ... private: boost::shared_ptr pimpl_; }; The copy constructor accepts a non-const RHS to avoid the following misuse: typedef basic_xml_node xml_node; void foo(xml_node const& node) { xml_node copy = node; copy->set_localname("toto"); } Since the basic_xml_node class template holds a pimpl to the real xml node object, if its copy constructor/assignment accepts a const RHS, the code above will compile and run, and the effect is that the local name of the const node reference parameter will be changed after the function call. If the copy constructor/assignment accepts a non-const RHS, the code above will no longer compile (which is what i expect). Unfortunately, when i use the class template, VC++ complains a lot on "nonstandard extension used" (warning C4239). Details: conversion from basic_xml_node to basic_xml_node&: A reference that is not to 'const' cannot be bound to a non-lvalue. I think such warnings are benign, but even if the warning id is disabled in my xml header files, such warnings still appear in client code, as long as the client code uses (implicitly) the copy constructor or copy assignment. I know that std::auto_ptr class template has the same problem. So i just would like to know if there is a way to get rid of this warning I do not want to disable this warning globally, or turn down the warning level.
Teaching Myself C++ and getting stuck with a few syntax problems   (295 Views)
Greetings, I have been trying to teach myself C++ over the past few weeks and have finally came across a problem I could not fix. I made a simple program that prints out a square or rectangle using the * character. The program was just for practice but I am having problems. My main problem is, in my program I use 4 functions to change or access two variables in my code. The variables are itsHeight; itsWidth; The functions are getHeight(), getWidth() and setHeight(), setWidth() Now for some reason the value that gets stored in itsHeight and itsWidth goes haywire and saves an astronomically huge number. It makes my square huge to where you cant see it on a screen and takes a long time to print. If I move the two variables outside of the class and make them global, they work like normal. I know I must be doing something wrong. I am also having problems creating prototypes of my functions. I could not create a prototype of my functions that needed to access my Rectangle class. I was forced to define all the functions above the Main and then define an object for each one. I was sure there was a way to use prototypes so you could define your function later, but somehow force the function to recognize my class ahead of time. Does this make sense Right now only my menu function has a prototype. I know defining a function before main is perfectly fine and that making a prototype makes no difference but for the sake of learning, and the sake of organization any help would rock! The programs not done and there might be a few things in here that I am not using at the very moment. That stuff should be commented out. I also have not defined my variables very well between INT, Unsigneds, longs and shorts. This is because I had it all nice and neatly organized to what I think I would need for each function, but then when I hit this brick wall I started changing them to INT to see if it would make a difference. I will go back and make the appropriate changes when I know what im doing wrong. Please lend advise to a newb! #include using namespace std; //Define Variable types typedef unsigned short int USI; typedef unsigned long int ULI; enum BOOL {FALSE, TRUE}; enum uchoose {print=1, area, perimeter, resize, salir}; //declare rectangle class class Rectangle { private: //Private Class Variables int itsWidth; int itsHeight; public: //Public Variables and Functions ULI printArea(){return itsHeight*itsWidth;} ULI printPerimeter(){return itsHeight*2+itsWidth*2;} int getHeight() const {return itsHeight;} int getWidth() const {return itsWidth;} int setHeight(int); int setWidth(int); }; int Rectangle::setHeight(int h) { itsHeight=h; } int Rectangle::setWidth(int w) { itsWidth=w; } void getMenu(); int printRect() { Rectangle rect; int h=rect.getHeight(),w=rect.getWidth(); for (USI x=0; x
Where to get the best (Microsoft?) C++ certification?   (281 Views)
Hi I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study and then get a certification. What is best (online/mail) certication Where can I do tests for it (online/mail) What is the most respectable certification Does it have to be Microsoft certification How about Visual C++, object oriented programming certifications
Use of operator T const& to get a reference to self   (205 Views)
Given the following program: #include class FG { public: explicit FG( std::locale const& l ) : myLoc( &l ) {} template< typename F > operator F const&() const { return get< F >( *myLoc, &std::use_facet ) ; } private: std::locale const* myLoc ; template< typename F > F const& get( std::locale const& l, F const& (*f)( std::locale const& ) ) const { return (*f)( l ) ; } } ; FG getF( std::locale const& l ) { return FG( l ) ; } void f() { std::ctype< char > const& ct = getF( std::locale() ) ; } G++ (4.1.0) instantates the template operator F const& to get the const reference needed to call the copy constructor (which of course fails to compile, since use_facet is not legal). Providing a non-template: operator FG const&() const { return *this ; } solves the problem, but is g++ correct here I would have expected the temporary "FG( l )" to bind directly to the const reference of the (compiler generated) copy constructor. Or maybe my question is: is this intentional Given 8.5.3/5, "[...]If the initializer expression [...]-- has a class type [it does] and can be implicitly converted to an lvalue of type "cv3 T3", where "cv1 T1" is reference-compatible with "cv3 T3" [...] then [...] the reference is bound to the lvalue result of the conversion [...]" But it doesn't seem at all natural to have a user defined conversion called for a copy. -- James Kanze (GABI Software) mailto:james.kanze Conseils en informatique oriente objet/ Beratung in objektorientierter Datenverarbeitung 9 place Smard, 78210 St.-Cyr-l'cole, France, +33 (0)1 30 23 00 34 --- [ comp.std.c++ is moderated. To submit articles, try just posting with ] [ your news-reader. If that fails, use mailto:std-c++@ncar.ucar.edu ] [ --- Please see the FAQ before posting. --- ] [ FAQ: http://www.comeaucomputing.com/csc/faq.html ]
Of getline(cin,...), Ctrl+D and infinite loops   (210 Views)
Here is a small program. It's meant to keep reading lines from the stdin till someone types the (really cute) string "manchu". In that case it breaks out of the loop and the program terminates. /////////////////////////////////// #include #include using namespace std; int main() { string str; char ch; while ( cin ) { cin.clear(); cin.ignore( cin.rdbuf()->in_avail() ); getline( cin, str, '\n'); if ( str == "manchu" ) break; if ( cin.eof() || cin.fail() ) { cin.clear(); } } return 0; } I am compiling this with gcc 3.3.1 on Solaris 9 SPARC, and with gcc 3.2.3 on RHEL 3. Now here is the crux. I wanted that if the user just typed "Ctrl+D", it should clear the eof and fail bits and continue the loop looking for more input. It does this nicely on Linux but goes into an infinite loop on Solaris sparc, repeatedly encountering EOF. I am guessing that this is a wrong piece of code and somehow it is working in one case, and not in the other case. And hoping that someone actually points out where I am going wrong. -- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ]
How to get (re)started?   (180 Views)
I'm a C/C++ old-timer. My last C++ was writing the book Learn C++ Today! (Don't blame me for the title.) One of my best books, by the way. Heartily recommended to all who think there's a future in MS-DOS programming. Before the world went totally GUI, I went totally Java, so I don't know basics like how to launch a window, how to populate a form, etc. I have a project now that I plan to do in C. Can someone recommend a good (re)starting point I'm using Linux (KDE), but would like to support Gnome and Windows, too.
How to get the weekday?   (172 Views)
If input date in format "yyyymmdd", how to determinate the weekday i.e If input 20070228, which function can return "Wed" Thank you..
fstream getline   (207 Views)
I'm trying to do line-at-a-time command interpreter input under eCos using an fstream for a serial port (/dev/tty1). The fstream has a 256-byte filebuf, and it's doing 256-byte fread() calls underneath. However, even though fread() gets a short read from the underlying device when I hit Enter, it goes back and reads more, until it gets the full 256 bytes--which perversely seems to be what the C standard requires it to do. Is getline() generally supposed to work as one would expect on interactive devices Is one expected to do a setvbuf on it, either to disable buffering, or to supply a one-character buffer I've tried both of these under eCos, and neither works, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if eCos's implementation of fstreams, or for that matter the C stdio library, is buggy. -- Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco Paul mailtoderocco@ix.netcom.com [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ]
Problems with cin (already tried getline)   (179 Views)
. I have some problems with cin. Here's the code: http://rafb.net/p/GhK3AU65.html If you press '6', and 'enter', it will have to ask for another insert of a string. However, in this case, it goes straight without waiting for input... any ideas
[C++] can't get the full string when using c_str()   (221 Views)
, I've got one here I just don't understand. The problem isn't with SQL syntax or anything related to the database system, but I wanted to give that info so that you would understand why the string is formatted like so. Ok, I have code that ultimately is trying to build a string that looks like this: INSERT INTO table (col1, col2, col3, col4, col5) VALUES ('data col1', 2, 3, '1/3/2007', 'Misc data' ); Now, in my code, the string is built like this: // assume the below function is a class member with data members // std::string insStr // std:stringstream int2char void BuildInsString( std::string& d1, int d2, int d3, std::string& d4 ) { insStr += "INSERT INTO table (col1, col2, col3, col4, col5) VALUES ("; insStr += "'"; insStr += d1; insStr += "', "; int2char
How to get FILE structure for standard output ?   (200 Views)
Hi , I have following dumping function and use it for dumping data to files: int Dump(FILE* file, char* string) Everything goes ok, but this time I need to dump my data into standard output, standard error, ect. Where can I get the proper pointer to FILE structure or how should I initialize this structure correctly Thanx N.
Trying to pass a variable outside of while(! user.eof()){ user.getline(playerName,100); cout   (243 Views)
here is my problem void resumeGame(userData & loadInfo) { cout
How can I get the input stream in commandline application ?   (317 Views)
Subject: How can I get the input stream in commandline application Hi ! I have to get the input stream in my win32 commandline application. Using another words, I want to catch content of input stream file given like this: myapp.exe < data.txt How can I do it
Can't get a program to execute properly.   (193 Views)
I'm new to C, coming from perl. Essentially, i'm fairly new to programming in every way, shape and form. One project that I continually work on, just to help me get used to writing, is code that finds primes. This is my first try porting it to C, and I can't seem to get it to execute properly. Everything compiles fine, but the program, when executed, will continue past when I think it should exit. Can anyone point me in the right direction /* Prime Number Counter */ /* Attempt Number 1 */ /* Andrew Levenson */ /* 02.07.2007. */ /* Libraries */ #include /* Standard Library */ #include /* For sqrt function */ /* Definitions */ /* Body */ int main() { int i = 3, j; Prime_Test(i, j); return 1; }; int Prime_Test(i, j) { while(i
overload < operator, get a warning C4717   (236 Views)
Hi all, I am trying to overload the < operator, but get warning class Windowinfo { protected: HWND wndhandle; //the window handle int wndId; //the window Id public: Windowinfo(); Windowinfo(const Windowinfo &wnd); friend bool operator
Is there any way to get the size of any data type or ADT without using sizeof   (217 Views)
Hi , Is there any way of getting the size of any ADT or simple data type like int etc without using sizeof And how does the sizeof() function work
How to get ALL of environment variables ?   (193 Views)
Hi people, I know that getenv() returns the value of single environment variable, but I need some function that returns all of env. variables (just like when we type SET in commandline or similar).