SEARCH YOUR SOLUTION HERE  

Image files (.TIB) and failure of Security software

Hi all

This to me seems a HUGE HUGE vulnerability in some current AV packages.

I've got an ISOLATED machine which I use sometimes for specific AV testing.

Anyway I decided to "Infect it" deliberately with some spyware and a key stroke trojan and then take an image of the system with Acronis True image.

For example this one amongst others.

JS:FakeAV-W [Trj]

These "Archives" are .TIB files.

I then "uninstalled" the Acronis true image product (so the Archive can't be read via normal progams such as Windows explorer).

Now I then booted up a Clean computer (installed directly from the MS RC 7100 official CD with NO extra applications installed. I then installed only drivers from the Mobo CD and the AV software and copied the .TIB file on to a second partition on the "Clean computer".

Kaspersky, AVAST, etc all failed to detect anything on the .TIB file.

I only tried 3 AV software packages so the problem *might* be fixed in other systems.

This seems to be to be a HUGE flaw in some of these AV programs -- if you are restoring an Image you DEFINITELY want it to be clean.

However unless some of these archiving programs open up their formats to the AV companies this is a real potential risk.

So when choosing AV software make sure that backups / image files in the format of your backup software is also handled by the AV software.

Note I only tried "Free" or Trial editions so the "PRO version" might work.

Cheers
jimbo

Posted On: Tuesday 2nd of October 2012 09:52:16 PM Total Views:  203
View Complete with Replies

Related Messages:

image for restoring windows 7   (216 Views)
everybody! I'm searching for a way of restoring windows 7 with all the software I need already installed, instead of re-install windows from the beginning and the install again all my programs. It should be easy, but it's not! Once I format, re-install windows 7 and install all my software, one of these things happens: if I set a restore point everything seems ok, but when restore time comes, my restore poit is disappeared, or, if I can see it, after everything is done and rebooted, system tells me something like "impossible to complete the restore process" and so nothing is done, so I have to re-install everithing manually. Instead, if I use the windows tool for creating a restore CD/DVD, when I boot from such CD/DVD, i can't see anything that refers to the time i created the disk. In the endm, every time I have to format my PC (I use to do this about once every 6 months), I install all my software by hand and then I say: "Now I want to make sure that next time I have to restore, i will not have to install everything"... but actually I never cn do this, and i ALWAYS have to intall everything by hand! Anyone can help me, please
system image backup failure in Windows 7 error code 0X8007002   (211 Views)
I have a DEll XPS 8500 with Windows 7 64 bits. I am trying to backup the data to an external HDD (WD 500 GB) connected to USB 3.0 using W7 backup function. The USB 3.0 is based on intel drivers.My whole C disk contains approx 110 GB data (should fit in my external HDD without problems). W7 backup function allows to define what should be backed up (data and/or system image). When I try to create and backup a system image (using windows 7 backup), the backup fails with the error code "0X8007002 cannot find specified file". If I backup only the "libraries" (data), the backup is completed without problems. Any suggestions about problems that are causing this system image backup failure Any solutions
[DRIVERS] Cubase import midi files   (197 Views)
having problems importing Jammer Pro6 midifiles in to Cubase 5.1.only getting instruments no percussion or drums!! Any suggestions.GTFortie.ps i'm new to this
how to retrieve encypted MS Word files   (206 Views)
Word files were encrypted while on a Win XP PC. PC Died and data was "backed up", Windows 7 was installed. Now the files are all gibberish. Am I screwed
Location of files on PC   (237 Views)
I'm a brand-new windows 7 user; formerly was an XP user. When I want to find one of my files, after entering it in search, it will come up, but doesn't tell me where it is located; i.e. XP would show you that a file was in external drive or on the C-drive, etc. How do I find out where my file is located Thank you in advance Mimi
Find Text "in" files   (142 Views)
Is there anything build into windows 7 that lets me find a text pattern (simple) in a set of files I remember there was something like that in XP.
What have they done with the search for files containing text?   (261 Views)
Windows 7 Professional How do you find files containing certain words I can't believe MS would downgrade the search function, but I can't find it anywhere. Stan Hilliard
Search files   (273 Views)
How can I get my old XP File search program back I really dislike this new version of searching files in Windows 7. In XP it was so easy Click Start - Search - File and Folders. Now it Click on Windows Explorer - click on Computers - click in the search windows type in your search. I'm still trying to figure out how to search all drives on my computer. You would think that all you need to do is click on computer, but no that doesn't work. I would have to click on each drive to find my file that I am looking for. Sniffles
How to register OCX or DLL files to system32 ?   (240 Views)
Can someone tell me How to register OCX or DLL files to system32
Disable explorer (i have image for explain)   (176 Views)
i think it happen after use tunteup utiltes , hwo i disable it
Navigating explorer files with keyboard - lag solution?   (239 Views)
In XP I could navigate around an explorer window full of files with the arrow keys or by typing the beginning of the file name and it was more or less instantaneous. In Win7 there's a several second lag that seriously slows down my productivity. Similar when dragging folders. I suspect Win7 is scanning files as they are selected to enrich the UI somehow. There has to be a way to turn this "feature" off and speed things up. I tried turning off Aero, turning off some of the panes etc but no good. HELP! My system has 6gb ram, a core duo cpu, is Win 7 Pro 64 bit, 7600gt video card, and it's a fresh install.
Question about autoplay and files in explorer   (229 Views)
, I just recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my PC and I have couple of questions regarding it: 1. Next problem is about putting one file below or up the other one in Windows Explorer, for example: File1.txt File2.txt When I try to drag and drop File1.txt below File2.txt so it looks like this: File2.txt File1.txt I just can't, it dosen't work. But on my desktop I can do it without problem. Any way to fix this or workaround so I can freely move my files in Windows Explorer 2. I'm having some applications when I run them in lower right corner, for example : "Windows Live Messanger" and some applications like "SlySoft AnyDVD". I was wondering, why when I one-left click "Windows Live Messanger" I get his options like I did right click on him, while when I click "SlySoft AnyDVD" it opens the whole application just like I would like it Only when I double left click "Windows Live Messanger" it opens me whole window of the application.
Access denied for My Pictures and Music files   (245 Views)
Upgraded from Vista to 7 and now I cannot access my Pictures and Music files. Get Access Denied error message
Sharing files over a network is a nightmare!   (228 Views)
Am I the only one that thinks that sharing drives over a network becomes more difficult with each new release of Windows I swear, it's unbelievable. It takes me about an hour to get it working right, and then, about a week later, I suddenly navigate to a folder that I don't have access to, even though I told Windows to share the entire drive. It's maddening!!! I understand the security issue, but it's doing me much more harm than good.
Adobe Acrobat files   (190 Views)
Don't seem to be able to read acrobat files with either IE8 or Firefox 3.5 when using Aero Themes; if I switch to Basic Themes, I can read the acrobat file with no problem. Is this a problem with the pre-release RC version.
geting backed up files from w7 to vista   (302 Views)
hey all ive installed vista back becuase i have been having probles with vireses and worm holes ive backed up all from windows 7 and whant to get the files from the backup to be restorde to vista but how do i get the files to be put on as the back up drive doesnt show up on the list because its a newer then vista and a there is there a program to restore the file from a new system. can eny on help
Windows file protection with nvidia files   (221 Views)
Try reinstalling that version of the nvidia drivers and then, stop using so called driver cleaners that do more damage than good. Win Vista/7 do an excellent job of cleaning up drivers during uninstalling the device. Install that version of the driver. Then uninstall form Uninstall Programs Then go into Device Manager and Uninstall the device from there and tell it to remove files This should, in most cases, remove drivers files and eliminate conflicts. Ofcourse this is not perfect, and it doesn't always work. But more times than not, it is better and more reliable than all the so called driver cleaners on the market. They are akin to Registry Cleaners, a waste of time, resources and money. You could go through and try deleting those files individually under Safe Mode. But that may not eliminate registry conflicts. If the above doesn't work, I recommend nuke and reload, just to be sure the system is in a clean stable state.
Cannot see files on linux drive   (201 Views)
Windows7 RC Ubuntu linux 9.04 ext3fsd 0.46 I have used ext2fsd to assign drive letter and give windows the ability to display/change files in windows XP and Windows7 beta with no problem but in Windows 7RC it shows drives but when I try to look at files it says folder is empty. Does anyone have a sollution
Can not burn disc images   (92 Views)
This may already have been discussed in this forum, but with all of the posts, it makes it difficult to find answers when doing a search. My problem is, I can't burn any image, with any program on any media. I have tried it all. The burn begins and then hangs on writing lead-in. Then I have to restart to get the disc out of the drive. And the laser never even starts. Can some one help
Downloading torrent files drops wireless connection   (228 Views)
I don't know if this is a bug or a Microsoft security related issue, but when I am downloading a torrent file it works for about 2 minutes, then all transfers stop. (I'm on wireless home network). The connection still reads as being excellent, but I can get no internet access. browsers stop working as well. When I reboot everything works fine and remains fine until I once again begin to download a torrent file. (Micro torrent is what I am using). Has anybody else run across an issue like this