SEARCH YOUR SOLUTION HERE  

Another thing that I find really helpful for me!

Hi

I love applying custom icons to my folders in Windows Explorer, it's amazing how much this helps my find things quickly.

I'm 73 and my eyes aren't what they once were, (I think it's time for a new set of computer glasses) I don't like trying to read all that little type in Windows Explorer.
Plus I like to lean back in my chair in a sort of supine position so I'm not that close to the monitor.

I don't do it for every folder but the things that I often have to find are visible and stand out from the rows of yellow folders.

Here is a shot of my D:\ drive.

It used to be worse, I've compacted the list by making folders with names like Computer Related, and Graphic Design related, which have multiple folders under them, cutting the list down by about 50%.

Some of these sub folders also have icons that stand out.

Mike

Posted On: Thursday 20th of September 2012 11:36:19 PM Total Views:  407
View Complete with Replies

Related Messages:

Need to find 'Reverse' tool in W. Live Mail that allows reinstate accidental deletion in message   (282 Views)
Hope I am in the right section. I realise this is probably a simple thing but I can't find it. If I accidentally delete something in an email message that I am creating and want to reinstate it, is there a Reverse arrow like there is in Word If so where do I find it to add to the Tool bar
REINSTALL PROBLEM W7, HELP!!! reinstall mess, I have lost all my work.   (305 Views)
I had a problem with the wi-fi driver on my HP Eletebook8440p running on Windows 7 Home Premium. I think I might of incorrectly reinstalled and lost my work. I backed-up as much as I could on dongles, but a month of work was not backed up. I have gone to the windows.old and the files have been recovered, but none of the work documents are there. What can I do please help
discover who downloaded to me?   (226 Views)
Is there any utility that will tell me after the fact who downloaded anything to me In my case just now, it's probably an update of some kind. But it has already happened because I see in Networx > General > Today that sometime this morning about 600 mb was downloaded to my computer. Is there any record of the source of this download in Win7, Firefox or some utility I can use to discover what today's download was, reveal its destination on my machine, and to maintain an automatic log of same in the future I already know about update permission settings, inbound and outbound rules for software and Windows Update, etc.. But, apparently, I don't know enough because I have no idea what that 600mb was this morning and where on my machine it now resides..
[64-bit] Windows 7 Home Premium on a Wireless Active Directory   (268 Views)
. I've run into a problem with a laptop trying to logon to a wireless network. The network was created in active directory and even though I can see the network broadcasting, when I put my username [UC\XXXXXX] and password I get nothing but the same request. With my Windows Ultimate laptop I had no issues.
Upgrade Windows 7 home premium to Windows 7 ultimate   (155 Views)
When we upgrade Windows 7 home premium to Windows 7 ultimate, do we need to reinstall applications
my UAC is let me to chosseee No.. Yes is disabled greyed look at scrrenshoott I was post Help me   (239 Views)
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting How to solve this and what ever changed i do Uac is showed up and Yes button is disabled "Grey".. Help me
How do I remove everything from the hard drive   (177 Views)
I am send my 2 year computer to a friend of mine and i want to remove the information off the hard drive. So How do i completely format the hard drive
Use Windows8forums with Username and password of Windows7forums ?   (239 Views)
I'm news user to Windows7forums and also want to be part of Windows 8 forums.So can you please tell me is that possible to use same id password to use Windows 8 forums
SkyDrive Users: Claim Your 25GB Before Time Runs Out   (144 Views)
If you use Windows Live Services, you probably already have an account with Microsoft Windows Live SkyDrive, and may not even realize it. The storage service allows you to synchronize files on multiple computers and back them up using cloud computing. Like Dropbox and iCloud, the files are accessible from any location. Recently, Microsoft MVP Ross Cameron reminded us at Windows 8 Forums that you can claim 25GB of free space right now and for a limited time only. Find out more here: New SkyDrive-Updated for Windows 8 et al
Here's an awesome story   (163 Views)
Working on school project all night when windows update pops up. I postpone for four hours. Four hours later I postpone again for four hours. Go to sleep for six hours. Start working on project without ever turning off computer. Work for 3 hours. Windows update shuts down computer without warning and I lose all my work. Thank you Windows for still sucking so much **** after so many years. Why the **** did it not update while I was sleeping like it was supposed to I'll tell you why. Because Windows is a joke and it's always been a joke and it will continue to always be a joke until it fades out of existence to superior operating systems that don't cause innumerable amounts of user problems. What doesn't Microsoft ****ing understand I DONT WANT TO UPDATE!!!! I NEVER WANT TO UPDATE. LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE. LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE. AND IN CASE YOU DIDNT GET THAT LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never once has windows restarted for an update when I wasn't in the middle of something important. Get the **** out of my face!!!!!!!! What idiot at Microsoft thought it was a great idea to interrupt peoples work constantly with this bullshit. Jesus christ do it when the computer is manually shut down. Is it really so ****ing hard!!! Why is it on a timer Does it ever ask if you want to ****ing ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, Microsoft thinks it's better to program into the OS a surprise guess what you fail your class update. It's much more important that our useless virus definitions that never work be installed instead of the computer printing out that 15 page paper you bought the computer to write. Maybe when it reaches the timer it could ask you definitively yes or no Nope f*** you, you fail your class, no do overs. Thank you again windows for sucking another project into the abyss that is a windows hard-drive. F*** you Microsoft. It's sad that this bullshit still continues. I just want my computer to work without any hassle. Guess that's my mistake for getting Windows. I'm getting a Mac, and I've never even owned one. Honestly, it's not like I don't know what I'm doing with computer either. I made the one I'm working on now. I don't want my work interrupted when I'm working for ANYTHING. Who does The updates are not crucial. They are a burden. Why the hell is there no option for DON'T UPDATE Huh Seriously what the ****. What the ****. I can't get passed how ridiculous this is. The update message plagued me for hours with no "stop bothering me" option, only a "post-pone till later" option. Oh, but guess what, it doesn't shut down when it tells you it's going to. It glitches out and shuts down whenever the **** it damn well pleases. Once that random timer hits 0 it's game over. Really Really Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I seriously am buying a Mac. I can't afford for this **** to happen ever again (It's already ****ed my life so it doesn't really matter). PCs are so unstable. I just can't deal with it anymore. So long Microsoft. Another long time PC user bites the dust.
new drive disappears after old drive is renamed   (236 Views)
hello. i've installed a new internal drive without any problem. i named the new drive using an available letter and then copied my entire data drive onto it. what i'd like to do is rename the new drive to the drive letter i am currently using for my data so i don't have to remap all my programs (iTunes, Photoshop Elements, etc.). i renamed the old data drive first to free up the letter, which worked, but when i rebooted the computer the new drive disappeared. windows didn't see it at all. i renamed the old drive back to the original drive letter, rebooted, and the new drive showed up just as it was before. anyone know what's going on can i do what i'm trying to do - assign the new drive to the old data drive letter once i free it up should i have done the letter swap before i formatted and copied all the data any help would be appreciated.
[DRIVERS] Proper Drivers finder   (146 Views)
is three any way to find proper drivers for any type of Lan , Wlan,VIdeo,Audio by using any particular website or any other utility
How much difference does fragmentation make?   (217 Views)
Hi I know that fragmentation makes a lot of difference. I've had times when the difference between having fragmented files vs un-fragmented files would determine whether some processes would complete or not when generating 3D video. If the files were fragmented it would just hang up after a while. Defragment them and they zip right to the end. But my computer has felt logy lately, and I haven't done a full defragment in a long time. I looked at my C:\ drive and it showed as 11% fragmented. Defragler now has an app that runs a disk transfer test on a drive. So I ran the test several times and got a transfer rate of under 3 Mbs, really slow. Then I did a full defragmentation, and ran the test again, this time I got 30 Mbs, a big improvement. I can feel the difference when I do things on my computer now too, it just feels better. Now it's working on my D:\ drive, it's been at it for hours but it has the backup of my C:\ drive on it too. Anyway if the tests are correct then it's a numerical indicator of how much keeping your computer defraged can help, and that's only 11%, I've seen people how have hard drives are at 40%. Mike
I didn't know that it worked this way...   (314 Views)
Hi I posed a few days ago someplace that I found that defragmenting my C:\ drive gave me a real increase in read speed. From about 3 Mbs to 30. I defraged my B:\ drive (a partition of C:\) and today I tacked D:\ it was a long haul, mostly because it has the compressed back up of C:\ on it. I went to the movies and then out to dinner, but when I got home is was finally done. Here's what I did't expect, the read write speed on my D:\ drive went clear up to 60 Mps. So I checked my C:\ drive, it had also increased to about 60 Mbs as did my B:\ drive. It would appear that the one large fragmented file on my B:\ drive was slowing down my whole computer. I never thought that even one drive could effect the others that much. Maybe this is something else going on but my computer is running noticeably better all round. When I get time I think I will update my backups on me external drives and remove the ones on D: so I don't have to deal with it on a day to day basis. Mike
I found this helpful!   (192 Views)
Hi I ran across this tweak, and I liked it. I'm told that you should not do this in 64 bit Vista It always annoyed me that Windows Explorer always opens to the Libraries folder with all the folders expanded, it just makes it look too busy. . I never ever put anything in the folders there, except a few things I let default to the My Documents folder. I have a specific folder for everything mostly on my D:\ drive. This lets you set your Windows Explorer open to a different default location. I set mine to open to My Computer so that nothing is expanded and I can just click on the clearly visible D:\ drive and get to me files. If I knew the address I would set it to open with D:\ expanded, but I haven't researched that yet. Here's the link... http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17415/set-the-windows-explorer-startup-folder-in-windows-7/ As I said at the top I have read that changing this can cause problems in Widnows Vista 64 bit, I can't imagine why, it only a shortcut, but it works fine in Windows 7. Note that you are only changing the settings for that specific shortcut. If you have other shortcuts they will still point to the old setting. If you have an icon for Windows Explorer on your task-bar (for which you can't access properties) you will have to replace it with a copy of the one that you changed. Mike
You discover something new every day!   (232 Views)
Hi ! Well it's bothered me for a long time that when I want to load a file into some program for an ongoing project I have to navigate through, Desktop\Computer\Drive D:\Parent Folder\job folder\category folder and finely to the file I want, even though I've been using the same folder for several days over and over. Some programs do a better job of remembering where you have been then others. In some jobs I have to do this a lot. So today I said there has to be a way to do this easier. I'm navigating to the same folder over and over and I'm easily annoyed. Well I did find an answer, or two answers. I found the answer for the program in question, Poser9, which isn't good at remembering where you just were and it works great. But it doesn't work for every application. First I found that there are at least two different Open Windows. This is the one that opens in Poser no matter where in Poser you open it from. There are multiple places to open files because you import things to different parts of the application, it's complicated. But this is the Window I get, it's common with other programs that I tested. At the top of the list it a category called Favorites. I made a shortcut to the folder that I have all my current Poser Project files in and pasted it in here. Now when ever I use the open dialog I can go directly to that folder without having to navigate through the whole chain. Wow I thought this is great!!! I can do this for all the folders that I use a lot in every program. So I opened Photoshop and Adobe InDesign. This is the Open Window in InDesign. As you can see there is a different interface, and no Favorites. I tried pasting a link in here, but you can't do it. So I looked into it farther, and discovered that In Windows Explorer you can create a new Library folder named Favorites, and when you click in it, it will ask you if you want to ad a folder to Favorites. You can then add any folder you use a lot and have them there in any open dialog that looks like the Photoshop one. Anyway I can' believe that I didn't bother to figure this out before. This is going to make things a lot easier. Mike
Here's some interesting stuff!   (158 Views)
Hi I love stuff like this, I'm always messing up my computer! But some of these things could be useful to some people. The 20 Best Registry Hacks to Improve Windows - How-To Geek Mike